Saturday, August 22, 2009

Prostitute poetry

Toni Bentley reviews Hos, Hookers, Call Girls, and Rent Boys: Professionals Writing on Life, Love, Money, and Sex (2009 Soft Skull Press) in the New York Times Sunday Book Review.

According to Bentley, this "collection of essays, vignettes, rants and poems" is "a wonderful reminder that good writing is not about knowing words, grammar or Faulkner, but having that rare ability to tell the truth, an ability that education and sophistication often serve to conceal. While we are all, I suppose, in the business of surviving, some really are surviving more notably than others. The collective cry for identity found in this unsentimental compilation will resonate deeply — even, I suspect, with those among us who pretend not to pay for sex."

Sounds interesting. I'd say that I'd like to get my hands on a copy, but that totally sounds dirty now. I just hope the poetry doesn't suck. Wait. That's not what I mean. (Shaking fists at sky: Sex-worker poets, curse you!)

No comments: