Wednesday, July 8, 2009

More on David Berman's scribblings

I've already made my feelings known about David Berman's foray into cartoons, but his book of them is written up by Ed Park on the Poetry Foundation site. There's also a slideshow of some of Berman's drawings (including the Oklahoma one at left, which is the best of what I've seen thus far).

Park writes, "A cynic might see The Portable February as a quickie offering scraped from the bottom of the barrel, especially as it’s being released by Berman’s record label, Drag City, in the wake of his recent surprise announcement dissolving the Silver Jews."

Well, I guess I'm a cynic. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Berman has a cheerleader, I just think it's a wee bit hyperbolic to call these drawings "a skeletal Magritte." Just sayin'.

No comments: