Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mad Cow or Mad Monkey?

My wife and I went to Lathrup Village Art in the Park because we dig art fairs. It was mostly a bust (except for the really good fudge). More crafts than art.

But there was one booth with some cool stuff. Pamela Cohen, a jewelry artist from Ann Arbor, had necklaces with little faces on them. Most interesting to me were the ones she called her Mad Cow pendants, which bore a striking resemblance to Paul Frank's Julius character. In fact, I was wearing a Paul Frank shirt at the fair and she pointed at me and said, "That monkey" (referring to my shirt, not me. I think).

On Cohen's blog there's a picture of the Mad Cow templates and there's really no question as to whether or not they're Julius. The finished product doesn't look exactly like the Paul Frank version, but pretty close. Except most of hers have horns (since they're, you know, cows).

Check out some of her stuff at her Etsy shop where she has a list of art fairs she's doing this summer if you want to check it out in person.

No comments: