Monday, June 8, 2009

Firestarter

I just watched an old Smokey the Bear PSA that made me and my wife laugh very hard (much of the funny is in the Videogum blog post we came across it at so I'd be doing you no favors by embedding the video here. Go forth to Videogum and prosper). My wife then said to me, "I'll bet you're wishing that had something to do with poetry or monkeys so you could put it on your blog." And in less than a minute I found a poem about setting God fires with your mind via Poetry Foundation's handy dandy Poetry Tool.

You are welcome.

Staying Power

In appreciation of Maxim Gorky at the International Convention of Atheists, 1929

Like Gorky, I sometimes follow my doubts
outside to the yard and question the sky,
longing to have the fight settled, thinking
I can't go on like this, and finally I say

all right, it is improbable, all right, there
is no God. And then as if I'm focusing
a magnifying glass on dry leaves, God blazes up.
It's the attention, maybe, to what isn't there

that makes the emptiness flare like a forest fire
until I have to spend the afternoon dragging
the hose to put the smoldering thing out.
Even on an ordinary day when a friend calls,

tells me they've found melanoma,
complains that the hospital is cold, I say God.
God, I say as my heart turns inside out.
Pick up any language by the scruff of its neck,

wipe its face, set it down on the lawn,
and I bet it will toddle right into the godfire
again, which—though they say it doesn't
exist—can send you straight to the burn unit.

Oh, we have only so many words to think with.
Say God's not fire, say anything, say God's
a phone, maybe. You know you didn't order a phone,
but there it is. It rings. You don't know who it could be.

You don't want to talk, so you pull out
the plug. It rings. You smash it with a hammer
till it bleeds springs and coils and clobbery
metal bits. It rings again. You pick it up

and a voice you love whispers hello.

(Jeanne Murray Walker, from Poetry May 2004).

No comments: