Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Morrissey, The Consumer Monkey

On Sunday I connected Morrissey to poetry. Today I connect him to monkeys, or, more accurately, one in particular: Morrissey, The Consumer Monkey.

Morrissey, The Consumer Monkey was a character on the early 90s British comedy show Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

According to Wikipedia, Morrissey, The Consumer Monkey was a "monkey puppet with the face of Morrissey, operated by Vic and voiced by Bob [Mortimer]. Morrissey the Consumer Monkey would often come on to give advice on shoddy or unsafe consumer goods. ... Morrissey had a theme song, sung in duet with Vic, which began with Morrissey claiming 'I like watches, I like woods' and Vic countering with 'He likes various consumer goods.' At the time it was reported that Morrissey took offence to this character, much to the delight of Vic and Bob."

I have never seen this show aside from the YouTube clip featured here. Not only was I in sixth grade when it was originally on, but I am also not a big fan of British humor. Vic and Bob have not changed my mind.

Thank you to Anonymous for the tip. :)

No comments: