Saturday, December 13, 2008

The written word as visual art


Send $50 to Lauren in Chicago and you can get yourself a hand drawn rendition of Dorianne Laux's poem "Antilamentation." It is pretty awesome.

She writes on Etsy, where it's up for sale: "Disclaimer: it's killing me a little inside, but I've misspelled the word 'smoky'. With ink, there's just no going back! So if you love the piece but are a bit of a spelling purist (I usually am, I swear!), I plan on making printed versions of this in the future, with the mistake fixed in photoshop."

Lauren also uses "it's" instead of "its" a couple times in the piece, so she can sick Photoshop on that, too.

Ah, if only there were a Photoshop for our regrets (and I'm not talking about inconsequential things like "it's" versus "its." In other words: I am not making fun of Lauren)...

If someone ever did something this cool with one of my poems, even if they did make a minor grammatical or spelling error, I would pee my pants. If they did it error free, I would pee my pants twice.

No comments: