Friday, December 21, 2007

Neko Case talks poetry in Poetry


Neko Case has a great little essay in the November 2007 issue of Poetry called "My Flaming Hamster Wheel of Panic About Publicly Discussing Poetry in This Respected Forum."

Here's the beginning:
"When I was asked by Poetry to write an article for them I was ecstatic. I was flattered. I felt important! I agreed immediately. About twenty minutes after sending my e-mail of acceptance I paused to triumphantly sharpen my claws on the bookcase when I noticed the blazing, neon writing on the wall. It said: YOU'VE NEVER EVEN PASSED ENGLISH 101 AND EVERYONE WHO READS THIS MAGAZINE WILL KNOW IT. Why do I care? I'm not sure. I think it's because I don't want to let poetry down. Poetry is such a delicate, pretty lady with a candy exoskeleton on the outside of her crepe-paper dress. I am an awkward, heavy-handed mule of a high school dropout."

Read the rest here.

No comments: