Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Monchhichis: monkey-like, but not quite monkeys

For some reason Monchhichis popped into my head today. Perhaps because I've been painting my son's nursery and thinking about how I want to decorate it with monkeys and what exactly that means. My love of monkeys is no secret and I have no doubt that folks will probably give my little guy monkey paraphernalia at the baby shower and maybe the rest of his or my life. One thing not everyone realizes is that not all monkeys are cute. Some are downright freakish, like the Monchhichi. I had one of these as a kid. It was the girl Monchhichi with a pink bow in her hair. One of the doll's features was her ability to suck her thumb. At least, hypothetically, since cramming her hard plastic thumb into the hole that was her mouth in her hard plastic face was quite the challenge.

According to Wikipedia, "Monchhichis were monkey-like creatures who lived in the forest land of Monchia at the very top of tall trees well above the clouds. The tribe's leader, Wizzar, was a magical wizard who could make up spells and potions to defeat their enemy, the evil Grumplins of Grumplor."

WTF?

Hey, little girl. Stop loving your Monchhichi or you'll never get a date to the prom.

No comments: