Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A priest, a rabbi, and an imam walk into a bar...


...and who do they meet but Bill Maher who, using his hair as evidence, tells them there is no God.

Okay, it's not much of a joke. But it is, in a nutshell (pun intended), the plot of Bill Maher's movie Religulous, which I saw yesterday with poet, Floridian, and former Jesus-freak Amanda Carver. It's a pretty good movie, though I think it would be better if it had less of Bill Maher in it. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Bill Maher fan. I love Real Time and I've read all of his books. I think he's brilliant and love his sharp wit. Unfortunately, he does, too, and after a while it gets a little tiring. Maher often comes across as smug and condescending, which detracts from the film's overall message: religion is ridiculous. It is far more effective when believers are allowed to speak for themselves.

1 comment:

(Laura) said...

Totally agree. Plus the amount of cosmetics the man is wearing is staggering. It's like he hired Tammy Faye Baker's hair and make-up crew to get in the spirit of things.