Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Jenny!



A gorilla at the Dallas Zoo turned 55 this week. She's the oldest gorilla in captivity. Gorillas in the wild usually live to be in their 30s. She celebrated "by munching down a four-layer frozen fruit cake and banana leaf wrapped treats."

Yum!
"So to what does Jenny attribute her longevity? She's not saying. But her vegetarian diet couldn't hurt: seeds, cereal and one of her favorites, banana peels."

Hey, I'm vegetarian and I eat a lot of cereal. Maybe I'll live to be 55, too.

Here's a poem in honor of Jenny by Leigh Hunt (1784-1859):
Jenny Kiss’d Me

Jenny kiss’d me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in!
Say I’m weary, say I’m sad,
Say that health and wealth have miss’d me,
Say I’m growing old, but add,
Jenny kiss’d me.

No comments: